Monday, December 14, 2009

Food for cats

My new pussy cat, Franc arrived on 5 December. Unfortunately, Amy is no longer with us, after 13 year she passed away on 23 November. My very loved little girl.

I want Franc to be fit and healthy, I suspect diet was behind Amy's liver problems. Cats are particularly vulnerable if not fed a good diet, not too much fat and carbs, good quality protein and the correct calories every day.

Whiskers is the main canned cat food in Australia, 80% of cats get fed this brand. It contains artificial colours and flavours and wonder if there is something better.

I found that the premium supermarket brands are worse, containing ingredients cats simply don’t need. Cats are meat eaters, their bodies are not designed to eat grains or vegetables. The veges are there to make me feel that I'm giving him/her a healthy dinner.

Franc is a big boy, just over 6kg of confirmed muscle. His body feels firm, I can feel his ribs slightly and has strong back legs.

He’s currently eating Science Diet kibble, Whiskers chicken gravy and my home steamed chicken. He’s a bit lazy and doesn’t like chewing, he's probably swallowing it whole. I will conquer his kibble addiction, he will eat more cooked chicken and a good canned food. I don't feel bad about canned Whiskers, its a matter of reading labels.

Also kibble/dried cat foods can contain lots of carbs and fat as well as fillers, corn derivatives and not enough good quality meat based protein.

I want to keep him fit and healthy as possible and also like doing things for him.

No comments:

My messy workbench

It's huge, my plan was to make a sensible sized Nicholson style bench but didn't want to shorten the panels I used for the top, s...