Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Tomatoes

I think that I’ve learnt a bit more about growing tomatoes over the last year which was one of my toughest.
  • Water to field capacity, fill all pore spaces, water should run out the bottom of the pot and be consistent.
  • Limit pruning, I over pruned and they developed a bit of sun scald, also as they need to produce a lot of energy, there was simply not enough leaves to photosynthesis properly. I also got a fungal/bacterial spot which destroyed a large number of leaves.

  • Good soil preparation, add some blood and bone, worm castings, well rooted compost to fresh potting mix/soil, don't fertilise too much, this can cause fruit drop and not necessary if soil preparation was good. Although regular weak applications of a liquid manure is needed for potted tomatoes.

    Follow Peter Cundell's advice, see Garden Australia's website. Keep nitrogen levels low compared to phosphorous and potassium.
  • Add extra calcium either Dolomite/gypsum, so sprinkle a handful around seedlings.
Common problems:
  • Tomato seedlings when first planted can develop Early blight, a fungal disease. I use a baking soda spray every two weeks and continue until they stop being productive.
  • Whitefly, I have no control for these, sticky traps don't reduce numbers, it is more of a monitoring tool.
  • Loopers/caterpillars, I use Dipel as these guys can cause a lot of damage in a single day and they are good at hiding. Spray alternate weeks to baking soda spray, otherwise each week.
  • Potted tomatoes need regular weak applications of an organic fertiliser, I use Charlie Carp/worm wee as nutrients are lost when plants are watered.
  • Fruit slow to ripen. I've added some extra potash to help (weak 10g to 9 litre can). I was a bit sceptical but it seemed to work but be careful too much can cause blossom end rot (disgusting black bottoms) and Potash (Potassium) competes with calcium uptake.
  • Don't let smokers touch your plants, I've read that the tobacco virus may spread this way. Although no real evidence but I do live with a smoker and my plants did have spots. Thrips also carry a lot of different types of virus which affect tomotoes, consider using Natrasoap.
My red Russian and beef steak where not productive last year, a soil fungus may have been the culprit.

No comments:

My messy workbench

It's huge, my plan was to make a sensible sized Nicholson style bench but didn't want to shorten the panels I used for the top, s...