Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Made in Koolewong! End grain cutting boards

I have a workshop in my garage and have made a few end grain cutting boards. The first was made from pine, the second one which I kept is American red oak and the most recent spotted gum. A local Sydney species.

My first board was the easiest. Just 30 x 30 mm pine in a checker board pattern.  I was very pleased with my first board and really didn't want to part with it. My mother is testing it for me. Finished with olive oil!


Now using Tung oil. Olive oil is not used anywhere else in timber work as a preservative as it oxidises very quickly. Definitely food safe but not so good for you when it goes off. Tung oil provides a much better finish, penetrates more deeply into the timber and polishes up extremely well.

My favourite board is made from American red oak, the colours are intense and I love the tonal variability. It does burn easily, so I adjusted the belt sander to half speed to stop the timber from burning. This board looks a bit dry right now and could do with a sand down and re-oil. I only applied a single application of oil when it should have had at least two coats.

This board has a running pattern which I like very much.

The colour is lost here, the timber should appear blood red. I love the rays, they shine like silver.


As the timber is so chunky and heavy the handle becomes essential for picking up the board from the kitchen counter. I will incorporate small feet on future boards, I like the idea of making non slip feet from timber and leather and I will also replace the steel handle with one made of leather. 

Finally my last board completed today. Spotted gum is a more difficult timber to work with, it cuts and polishes up well. My concern is the grain is going to raise very easily and it will need regular rubbing back and reoiling. The colour is worth it.


I made the mistake of not buying enough timber, the extra timber was not quite the same size so I ran it in on alternative rows to create a running random pattern. 


Hopefully with some practice will be able to use my router to carve handles etc in my future boards. My next project is to strip back our coffee table and make some shelves for my art supplies that have laid on the floor for just over a year.


No comments:

My messy workbench

It's huge, my plan was to make a sensible sized Nicholson style bench but didn't want to shorten the panels I used for the top, s...