Sunday, December 14, 2008

Dipel

My geraniums in the window box under my bedroom window have been eaten by caterpillars. I've been picking them off one by one but decided to see how Dipel works. It's been available for about 30 years!

Dipel is an insecticide containing Bacillus thuringiensis bacteria, caterpillars apparently stop eating immediately once they have ingested it, taking about three days for them to die. Confidor is an alternative but too toxic for home gardener use however, it is usually the only product available at hardware stores.

Dipel spores are killed off by sunlight so it should be applied every 7 days when infestations are high.

Although it is safer to use, always wear eye protection, gloves and dust mask especially when opening sachets as spores break loose into the air. The same protection should be worn when spraying pyrethrum, dusts or organic pesticides. Packaging never provides enough information on personal protection equipment.

I now would never buy premixed trigger/spray packs for any product. I purchased PestOil (Yates) only a few days ago, I could not adjust the droplet size and it ran down my hand. More of a problem was a pyrethrum spray pack that I purchased a few years ago. The pack leaked badly, despite it being organic is too toxic for this to be acceptable.

No comments:

My messy workbench

It's huge, my plan was to make a sensible sized Nicholson style bench but didn't want to shorten the panels I used for the top, s...