Monday, November 10, 2008

2008 Sydney to Gong - 2 November 2008

The day before the ride I was at Tafe getting my chemical application licence. I got home late and fixed a flat tire on my road bike at 10pm (which I only discovered when I got home) I knew I was too tired to do this ride and deal with the normal problems, flats, bad riding and hills. After fixing a flat after only 5km I gave up and went home. My pump destroyed the valve so I couldn't pump the tire up. So no spares, no working pump I wouldn't ride do a ride of half the distance without being able to look after myself.

Try next year but I have to admit that I'm looking for other challenges, three Sydney to Gongs might be enough.

Stop press

Both tubes were Bontrager which are produced for Trek. I couldn't find a hole in the orginal tube, probably bad valve. Crappy quality for a premium price tag $12 (Clarence St Cycles, Sydney). When I got home I replaced the bent valve, pumped up the tire. It went flat again over night! I pulled out the tube and found that that it had folded over itself by 10cm, which explains why it was difficult to pump up. I expect the bent valve was due to the soft nature of the brass used.

I always use a basic Chinese brand which sell for about $9.00 and with one exception never had a problem.

No comments:

My messy workbench

It's huge, my plan was to make a sensible sized Nicholson style bench but didn't want to shorten the panels I used for the top, s...