Monday, August 7, 2006

Blayney to Bathurst Cyclo Sportif 2006 cycle: 26 March 2006

This was my very first race. I didn't need a $175 race license issued by Cycling NSW and the only race of its kind that is open to anyone able to cover the distance. And I'm still confused about the distance, the entry form I filled out described a challenging and undulating 56 km course but any race that finishes at the top of Mount Panorama was going to be difficult.



The race moved through beautiful but dry countryside, lots of cattle and sheep, following the railway track to Bathurst. I remember two very long hills, the first just 3 km out of Blayney and the worst at about 40 km. The route then flattens out. Although I started to feel the heat it was an easy ride to the bottom of Mount Panorama. The last kilometre included the ESSEs and was unrideable. The heat intense, my back and calves tight. I was not going to walk over the finish line; this was still a race. I got back on my bike and struggled across the line.

I had ridden 74 km according to my bike computer, I'm not sure whether this is accurate. My overall time of 3 hours and 28 minutes was a personal best for me.

My training program was simple, just extra kilometres tacked on to my daily ride to work. It didn't work out because I also run and I felt that I was getting too sore and dehydrated. I stuck with riding to work each day and long rides on the weekend for six weeks. I set a good pace, not letting my speed drop too low or go to fast.

I remember the pain in my legs and whether I had the capacity to get to the end. Today, I'm sore, tired and still a bit dehydrated. I remember it hurt and now the excitement and satisfaction of completing my first race has taken over. It was fun and I secretly loved every drama. I will race next year and look for similar challenges.


I enjoyed my short visit to Blayney, a quiet country town. The air was cold and filled with smoke from wood fires. I recommend Blayney's only pizza shop and its pubs. After the race I rode into Bathurst and cought the train back to Sydney.

I wish that I had taken photos of the start and during the race but I was too preoccupied. I like Blayney and I hope that the same faces will all be there next year.

No comments:

My messy workbench

It's huge, my plan was to make a sensible sized Nicholson style bench but didn't want to shorten the panels I used for the top, s...